SUMMER SKIN CARE
As you run out the door to soak up some much needed summer rays it is so important to remember how damaging the sun can be.
Laying in the sun, letting your skin bake to that perfect bronze hue for countless hours is not without its side effects. Sunburns may seem like nothing to be concerned about, just a little temporary pain, right? As I have been researching and observing my own changing skin, I want to help you avoid or at least lessen the harmful effects of the sun. We can all start a healthy skin care routine and lessen the impact.
4 Tips to Healthy Skin
- Invest in good products - Your skin absorbs what you put on it so why not feed it clean, healthy products that make it glow? I know that some products can be quite an investment, but when you think about it, don’t you want your face to stand the test of time? You’re going to be happy you invested in you rather than those cute pair of shoes in 5-10 years. A good cleanser and moisturizer are great places to start.
- Hydrate - Your skin needs water and if you have ever looked at your face after a long day in the sun or a heavy night of drinking, your skin can appear cracked and the lines don’t fade as quickly. This is because your skin is in desperate need of a drink! Make sure to keep a water bottle near you at all times.
- Sunscreen - Not all sunscreens are created equal!. For example, some research has suggested that chemical sunscreens can be linked to hormonal disruption as well as skin allergies.* Chemical sunscreens are most likely the ones we grew up on, but it's not too late to switch over to a mineral based sunscreen. Also, make sure your sunscreen isn’t expired.
- Exfoliate - If you are noticing your skin flaking or looking a little dull, it's time to remove those dead skin cells and exfoliate. The body regenerates skin cells everyday but if you are not actively exfoliating your skin cells will pile up and can result in excess oil, clogged pores, and breakouts. Having a scrub or exfoliating glove in the shower that you use regularly will help achieve that summer glow!
DIY Grapefruit Scrub:
- 1 c salt or sugar
- ½ c coconut oil
- 20 drops grapefruit essential oil
DIY Coffee Scrub:
- ½ c coffee grinds
- ½ c salt
- ¼ c avocado oil or olive oil
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil